Monday, March 19, 2012

I Embark On a Quest!

So, I recently joined the YMCA near my current job. The facility is less than a year old and has everything. I can't stop saying good things about it. However, I do have one beef. They offer a bunch of classes in the lap pool which constricts the number of lanes available for just swimming laps. As a former competitive swimmer/water polo player, hopping in the pool and playing tag with the wall is a natural way to start the day for me. Unfortunately all these classes have cut into my swimming time. What makes it even more frustrating is that I've never been a big fan of classes. I enjoy setting my own workouts and don't generally even like having workout partners.

But, I've come across an obscure phrase of striking wisdom. "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em." As such, I decided to try a class or two. On the other hand, I'm also a big fan of the phrase "Go big or go home," which is why I'm going to take ALL THE CLASSES!

Okay, there are a couple of limitations. There are a few classes that are only offered during the day and there are some with age restrictions. That still leaves me with a pretty good-sized list of classes:

• Zumba 101
• Shallow Water Fitness
• Deep Water Aerobics
• AquaZumba
• Boot Camp
• Cross Train
• Kickboxing
• Zumba
• River Fitness Bootcamp
• Kick Camp
• Iaido
• Cycling
• Core NRG
• SwimFit
• Sculpt
• Awaken Yoga
• Foam Rolling
• Hip Hop
• River Fitness
• Tai Chi
• Power Yoga
• Caribbean Rhythms

Yeah, seriously, I'm going to take a class called "AquaZumba." I'm not even sure what sort of class "Caribbean Rhythms is." Dancing? Do I need to bring my own steel drum? "Foam Rolling?" What? How bad can these be? Actually, I anticipate that I'll probably regret this decision a few times, probably really dislike some of the classes. On the other hand, I'm sure I'll enjoy a few of them. In fact, I'm even looking forward to a few.

I need to figure out the timing on the classes, but I figure I'll start next Monday morning with one of the aquatics classes. The offerings are SwimFit, River Fitness and Deep Water Fitness.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment