Monday, March 26, 2012

Class 1 Review

AquaFit was great!  As I think I mentioned, I struggle with motivation when swimming laps on my own.  I frequently max out around 2,000 and it feels like a drag.  I've made it up to around 2,500 yards a couple of times, but by the time I got there I was hating it.  Today's class was run by a woman named Beth.  I was the first person there (intentionally) so we chatted a bit about the class and my normal workouts.  She seemed confident that I'd fit in with the class well and she was right.

I enjoyed the people I was swimming with (today's workout was all in the water) but most of all, I really enjoyed the extra sense of both camaraderie and competition that comes from doing the same workout with some other folks.  A couple of them were close to the same level as me which really helped provide some extra push.  The workout had some great variety without feeling like any of the drills were novelties or trying too hard.  It was a good solid workout.

Possibly the best part came at the end, after finishing the main workout, when Beth said, "Ok, just do an easy 150 warm-down, however you want and you're done...2,350 yards for the day."  WHAT?!  That felt like nothing!  And it was 2,350 yards?  SWEET!!!!  (Truth be told, the workout was pretty tough and my quads and calves were both close to cramping up, but, compared to the mental effort it has taken to push myself to barely get to 2,000 yards, this was a piece of cake.

I'm really looking forward to taking this class again and anticipate that I might become a regular.  At one point today, I even thought about scrapping the whole "take all the classes" plan so I could just keep doing this one.  But, I want to follow-through on it, partly because I might find that I really like some of the other classes too...we shall see!

Tomorrow morn is my second class and it's "Cycling" and, according to the schedule, it's run by "The Spin Doctor."  Excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment